Introduction

Linda Collette Linda_Collette at BROWN.EDU
Fri Jan 8 10:51:46 UTC 1999

My name is Lin Collette, I'm based in Rhode Island (administrative staff at
Brown University) and I am a former doctoral student in media studies; I'm
now pursuing my research independently (money having run out for grad
school).  My dissertation was to have focused on media coverage of fringe
political and religious groups and I intend to continue that work.  I am
also interested in the use of media by fringe political and religious
groups to disseminate their messages and have been very interested in how
the Internet is being used.  Finally, I'm interested in how society (media)
describes the fringe, the words and tone used to describe their beliefs and
activities.  Another interest I have is how to do research ethically on the
Internet (i.e. participant observation).  As mentioned above my doctoral
studies were in media studies, but I have training in social psychology,
history, and literature, and have become very interested in anthropology as
it relates to discourse.  I'm always interested in hearing about new (and
old) books and articles that are useful to me and hope I can contribute
same.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

lin

Lin Collette
The Social Research Project
P.O. Box 1706