Introduction

Vershawn Ashanti Young VYoung7981 at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 8 15:40:02 UTC 1999

Barney,

Your research sounds fascinating.  I recently took a course in ethnography
where I was introduced to cultures that put on a 'good' face in certain speech
situations.  The  Hispanic and Italian cultures were highlighted in the
course, probably because the professor who taught the course, Marcia Farr,
does work with Mexican and Mexican American communities.  Anyway, I found her
article on the verbal performances fascinating.  And also the dissertation of
one of her student's, Gloria Nardini, _Che Bella Figura!  The Power of
Performance in an Italian Ladies' Club in Chicago_  discusses how wives whose
husbands belong to a club put on a certain face and enter into a type of
verbal performance that is associated with the Italian culture's way of
performing in public.

I realize from your description that your research centeres around the
political aspects of the Indian culture, but it would also be interesting for
me to know whether or not there is a reciprocal influential relationship that
exists between the social (and/or even private) and the political.  How does
this relatively new speech genre effect or is effected by everyday speech?
And is this represented in the literature of the country?

Vershawn Ashanti Young
PhD Candidate/Literature
University of Illinois at Chicago
773-548-6564