Introduction

Kelli Cargile Cook ngack at TTACS.TTU.EDU
Fri Jan 8 16:03:05 UTC 1999

Hello, everyone,

My name is Kelli Cargile Cook.  I’m a doctoral student in Technical
Communication and Rhetoric at Texas Tech University, Lubbock TX.  Defined in
broad strokes, my research is primarily concerned with internet-based
distance education and technical communication pedagogy, but some of the
fine grain issues that interest me are online communities and the social
interactions associated with them.  I am also a student of the technologies
that support these communities.

One of the main reasons that I am interested in this group, apart from its
focus on discourse and its interdisciplinary nature, is that I have never
joined a listserv so early in its development.  I’m interested in seeing how
we generate our own discourse among such an academically and geographically
diverse group, how we build connections with one another, and how leaders
and lurkers emerge or dissipate into the shadows.  These interests relate
directly to the kind of communication and interaction issues that can arise
in distance education courses.

I am certain that I will learn and enjoy participating in the discussions of
the group, and I look forward to talking more with all of you,

Kelli
Kelli Cargile Cook
Texas Tech University
http://english.ttu.edu/grad/cargilecook/home/homepage.htm