Introduction

Marty Jacobsen marty at LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Fri Jan 8 19:00:03 UTC 1999

Dear Discours-ers:

I'm Marty Jacobsen, a co-owner of DISCOURS and associate editor and
Webmaster for the LINGUIST List.  A student with James Cornish and John
Krajicek in the discourse studies program at Texas A&M, I am currently
scheduling a defense of my dissertation, which deals with orality/literacy
and hypertextuality.

I have a one-time offer to gnaw on something that gnaws at me.  One of the
most interesting things to me in discourse studies is the choice of a
minimal unit of discourse, which we all know varies with approach and
purpose.  What is the minimal unit of discourse in a hypertext
environment? Is there one?  Is hypertext a discourse and can it be
measured this way?  I've got thoughts but not theories about this.

Any takers?

Marty Jacobsen, Ab.D
Texas A&M