Introduction

Gary Thompson glt at TARDIS.SVSU.EDU
Sun Jan 10 23:22:52 UTC 1999

It seems a little awkward to post an introduction before getting
a sense of the kinds of discourse already circulating on the list--
but here goes. My interest in the announced subject matter of this
list is in the area of media studies, cultural studies, and how those
connect to rhetoric generally and writing classes specifically. I
have published a textbook along these lines with Allyn & Bacon
(Rhetoric through Media), and am planning other forays into
this area. I'm interested in contacts from others (on- or off-list)
to get a sense of how or whether academic work along these
lines has been received at their academic institutions (and in
other contexts).

As for professional background, I am now in my 20th year at
Saginaw Valley State Univ. in Michigan, with background in
American literature. I'm part of a new masters program in
communications and multimedia, and so I'm also interested in
developments related to discourse through the internet and other
electronic media. Suggested reading lists welcome!

Thanks--

Gary Thompson

(By the way, is HTML OK on this list? A little late to ask . . .)

--
ÿWPCZ