Introduction

Esther Schely-Newman msetti at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL
Fri Jan 15 14:45:54 UTC 1999

Shalom to all,
My name is Esther Schely-Newman and I teach at the department of
communication and journalism at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
My PhD is from the University of Chicago, in an interdisciplinary program,
analyzing narratives in a samll Israeli community.
My research focuses on narrative--mainly life stories of elderly Israeli
women who emigrated from Arab countries in the 1950's. My main
perspectives for this study are ethnography of communication and
performance.
Other research interests stem from courses I teach:
Introductory  course on language and communication -- leads me to seek
understanding of media discourse.
I also teach a course on gossip as a mode of communication, and just
strating a study of gossip columns in Israeli media.
My other favorite course is folklore and/of/in mass media. Right now I
am thinking of a project of studying the folklore of Israeli academe.

Hope this is sufficient as introduction. Would like to know what others
are doing. The description of interests of the group is very similar to
what I am doing/working on.

Esther.
msetti at mscc.huji.ac.il