Introduction

randall henry eggert rheggert at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Jan 15 19:53:23 UTC 1999

Introduction:

I'm a grad student at the University of Chicago in linguistics.  My main
interest is in deixis, particularly with regard to pure indexicals in
non-face-to-face communication.  Presently, I'm engaged in research into
the use of _you_ in written language.

I have a question for Wenche Vagle:

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Wenche Vagle wrote:

> For the most part, I rely on methodologies and analytical tools from
> linguistics. I work within the functional linguistic framework
> (associated with M.A.K Halliday's name) - also know as the
> 'sociosemiotic perspective'. In addition, I fetch insights and
> instruments from text linguistics, pragmatics, the 'spoken and written
> language'-approach, ethnomethodological conversation analysis and
> Erving Goffman's sociology.

Could you explain what you mean by "the 'spoken and written language'
approach".  Are you referring to Halliday's approach when you write this?
I'm asking because, from my reading, I have found that there is not a
whole lot of agreement on how to approach the two forms of language, or
even if it is valid to distinguish them beyond the obvious difference of
channel. That is to say, I am not aware of any one approach that I would
call "the" approach.  Is there a particular approach that goes by the name
'the spoken and written language approach' that I'm unaware of.  If so,
I'd be interested in reading about it.

Your research sounds interesting, and I'd like to hear more about it.

Happiness,
Randy Eggert