Introduction

Henrik Rahm Henrik.Rahm at NORDLUND.LU.SE
Mon Jan 18 09:44:47 UTC 1999

Hello,

My name is Henrik Rahm, doctoral student at the Department of Scandinavian
Languages at Lund University in Sweden. I became interested in discourse
analyis during a course in Textually oriented discourse analysis, a course
which focused on Fairclough (1992): Discourse and social change. As an
outcome of the course I wrote a paper on the relation between social and
textual change in a Swedish tabloid news paper, the Expressen, since 1944.

The subject of my dissertation is the coverage in the daily Swedish press
on five major strikes during the last century. I work with questions like
these:

In which way has journalism, i.e. methods of work, changed?
In which way has the struture of the texts changed?
How can the genre system be described over time?
How are the relations between the participants of the text, i.e. the voice
of the newspaper and the voice of the strike participants?
How can the text patterns be described in terms of intertextuality and text
types?
Which connections exist between changes in society, journalistic practice
and textual structure?

Looking forward to be hearing from all of you!

Henrik

Henrik Rahm
Lunds universitet
Institutionen för nordiska språk