info str

Chungmin Lee clee at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Tue Jan 19 14:17:21 UTC 1999

Dear Larry and others interested in info str,
  I agree that most languages have commonalities or at least general
principles in information structure. English favors right-edge constituency
for 'focus' rather than 'topics'. You might have meant this.  Information
focus falls on 'Mary' in the given discourse. The part 'that on the
telephone' must be a topical part, as given. Korean, as a head-final or SOV
language, has a pre-verbal position of (default or wide) focus. Huangarian
is similar in this respect.
  Chungmin