Rhetorical Structure Theory

James Cornish jwcornish at TAMU.EDU
Wed Jan 20 16:37:50 UTC 1999

To Holger Schauer

Thank God there is someone interested in Mann and Thompson's RST.  I've
have battled with some of the schemes and am hoping that you have found
some types of methodologies which will ease that difficult task and
possibly cut back on some of the subjectivity inherent in deciding which
span is relationally what.

Please let me know what all you are doing with that theory.  I know that
you are computer based whereas I have been doing the analyses by hand,
but I sure would like to hear how you are getting along with the RST.

--
James Warren Cornish -  Texas A&M University
English Department/ Discourse Studies