RST

Gisela Redeker G.Redeker at LET.RUG.NL
Thu Jan 21 19:23:19 UTC 1999

On 21 Jan 99 at 12:20, Maite Taboada wrote:

> Yes! Let's talk about RST! I've gone into dangerous territory, and used it
> to describe spoken language. It has been a lot of fun, because all the
> concepts of intentionality and effect on the reader (hearer in my case)
> take on a new meaning. I still found it to be an excellent tool, and it
> describes beautifully how two interactants build a text together. I have a
> paper on it that I'll make available through my web page as soon as I get
> round to it.

Dear Maite,

I'd be very interested in seeing how you have applied RST to
conversation data. The few attempts that I've seen in the past all
involved using RST for turn-internal structures and supplementing
other kinds of relations for the exchange structure.

Please let us know when your paper becomes available on your web
page!

Gisela

| Gisela Redeker, Professor, Dept. of Language and Communication |
| University of Groningen,  P.O.Box 716,  NL-9700 AS Groningen   |
| tel:  +31-50-3635973/-5858     fax:  +31-50-3636855            |
| e-mail: G.Redeker at let.rug.nl   http://www.let.rug.nl/~redeker/ |