Gender and Language Association

Gisela Redeker G.Redeker at LET.RUG.NL
Thu Jan 21 19:35:51 UTC 1999

In reaction to the postings by Sara Trechter to 'fling'
and Mary Bucholtz to the 'discours' list:

> AN INVITATION TO A GALA (GENDER AND LANGUAGE ASSOCIATION) EVENT

[snip]

> We invite anyone interested in discussing the purpose, goals and structure
> of a national language and gender organization to join in the discussion on
> GALA-L, the GALA LIST. This closed, unmoderated list was formed with the
> express purpose of facilitating participation and discussion of a national
> language and gender group.  The ultimate goal for this discussion will be to
> form a mandate for the national organization. Of course, participation on
> the list is not limited by language, gender or sexual preference(s), one's
> major field of interest in language, or relationship to academia.

Could anyone explain to me what the advantage of a *NATIONAL* (U.S.)
list will/would be, when (at least some of) the regional groups have
long since gone *inter*national (esp. the Berkeley Women and Language
Group)? Has this been discussed by the people whose initiative this
is?

Gisela

| Gisela Redeker, Professor, Dept. of Language and Communication |
| University of Groningen,  P.O.Box 716,  NL-9700 AS Groningen   |
| tel:  +31-50-3635973/-5858     fax:  +31-50-3636855            |
| e-mail: G.Redeker at let.rug.nl   http://www.let.rug.nl/~redeker/ |