Introduction

Elizabeth M. Day maxg62 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Thu Jan 28 22:13:17 UTC 1999

Hello everybody

My name is Liz Day.  I have recently completed the Postgraduate Diploma in Systemic
Therapy at the Kensington Consultation Centre (KCC) in London, UK.  I am now working on an
MSc dissertation.  Together with a drama therapist, I am running therapeutic groups for
African children living in London who are affected by HIV and Aids.  For my dissertation I
am looking at the social construction of themes contained in the stories co-created by one
of those groups of children.

To analyse the texts I am using narrative analysis, and to analyse the story themes I am
using Pearce and Cronen's communication theory the Coordinated Management of Meaning
(CMM).

I am hoping to be invited to present a paper on this study at "AIDS Impact", the 4th
international conference on the psychosocial aspects of Aids, to be held in Ottawa in July
1999.

I am interested in narrative analysis, narrative and systemic therapy, CMM, and the social
construction of identity, including in particular the social construction of lesbian and
gay identities and the identities of disabled people.  I should be very glad to hear from
listers with similar interests, and from anyone planning to attend the Ottawa conference.

Good wishes.

Elizabeth M. Day
London, UK
lizday at dial.pipex.com