Fw: Conference Announcement: Identities in Action!

Architext architext at CABLE.A2000.NL
Fri Jun 25 12:15:44 UTC 1999

thought this might interest the readers of the list.

Frank.

--- START OF FORWARDED MESSAGE --------------------------------------------
   From: dgc at ABER.AC.UK (Daniel Chandler)
   Date: 25-06-99, 14:02:30
Subject: Conference Announcement: Identities in Action!

Apologies for any cross-posting...

Conference Announcement:  'Identities in Action!'

Hurry if you wish to attend this conference from Friday 10th
December to Sunday 12th December to be held near Newtown in
Powys (mid-Wales), because places are strictly limited!

This exciting inter-disciplinary conference aims to gather together
diverse perspectives on the ways in which concepts of identity,
alienation and belonging, language and modes of discourse, reveal
themselves in cultural and political undertakings. At this turning
point of the millenium, we hope to identify some emerging patterns in
the negotiation, rehearsal and affirmation of identities, and to consider
the roles of visual, verbal and other codes in mediating, as well as
defining, cultural positions and forging alliances.

What, for instance, is the role of imagery drawn from advertising,
popular music and the mass media in the construction of identities?
In what ways are identities 'under construction' in online media? What
are the variations and constraints in the ways in which we represent
ourselves when we use various modes of communication? What
dynamics can we identify in the ways language and other discourses shape
the identities of groups in action, and help to construct their
trajectories?

The conference features keynotes from Professor Line Grenier
(Dpartement de Communication, Université de Montréal) and Ned
Thomas (formerly Director of the University of Wales Press and author
of _The Welsh Extremist_). There are over 60 papers and workshops
which were selected from nearly 100 submissions. Presenters are from
universities in the USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Austria, Brazil,
Malaysia, France, Catalunya, the Basque Country and Sweden as well as
Wales, Scotland and England.

The conference is to be held in the glorious surroundings of the University
of Wales's Conference Centre - Gregynog - a delightful old mansion in
mid-Wales. The entertainment will include Welsh bands and a
Twmpath (Barn Dance). Accommodation in this lovely country house is
very limited and non-presenters will need to book urgently. Prices also rise
after August 1st.

Visit the website which already features the provisional programme
and abstracts: http://www.aber.ac.uk/~jmcwww/Identact/

If you are interested in attending, apply immediately!