No subject

Robin Shoaps shoaps at HUMANITAS.UCSB.EDU
Thu Mar 11 16:55:34 UTC 1999

Hi Oliver,

I don't want to belabor the obvious, but have you looked at Anne Banfield's
work? You may also want to consider Part 3 of Chafe's (1994) _Discourse,
Consciousness and Time_.

I myself have worked quite a bit with direct and indirect reported speech and
have found Bakhtin and Voloshinov to be the most useful.

Good luck with your project.

Best,

Robin Shoaps

Department of Linguistics