"rules" and identity construction

Jim Wilce jim.wilce at NAU.EDU
Mon May 17 15:59:24 UTC 1999

Dear colleagues:

A senior colleague has given me this request for references.  I don't know
a lot of sources that address "personal rules" as condensed symbols in
identity construction.  Where should I point him?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Jim

Mark wrote:  "A small call for help:
I am working on a project with a student on personal rules as it pertains to
identity construction....ie. rules we have about consumption, smoking,
drinking, sex etc. which define who we are---what are morality is, our
limits......... comparative reasoning involved in rule construction---I
never____like so and so.......  and times when we relax personal rules without
threatening our moral identity
I need to give the student a suggested reading list re. to identity
construction and these topics----any ideas???"

Jim Wilce
      Assistant Professor of Anthropology and Coordinator of Asian Studies
        Northern Arizona University
        Box 15200
        Flagstaff, AZ 86011-5200

fax 520/523-9135
office ph. 520/523-2729
email jim.wilce at nau.edu
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22/ (includes information on my 1998 book,
Eloquence in Trouble: The Poetics and Politics of Complaint in Rural
Bangladesh, ISBN 0-19-510687-3)
http://www.nau.edu/asian