Reply on the problem with an RST analysis

William Mann bill_mann at SIL.ORG
Fri Oct 22 01:19:26 UTC 1999

All:

I would agree with the comment that the text is incoherent.  I don't understand
it as given, and I suspect that the problem is not with the translation to
English.

Yes, more context is needed, and perhaps more background knowledge of the
situation and topic as well.  With more context, it might turn out that some of
the items link up to the left and another group to the right, with no connection
in this interval.

Also, some of the units chosen for analysis are restrictive relative clauses or
prepositional phrases.  It is true that RST can analyze some relationships
within sentences, but I don't know that RST (at least what Nick Nicholas calls
CRST, classical RST, per the 1988 paper in Text 8(3) ) is reliable at those
levels.

On this text, metaphor is also adding to the difficulties.  It might be more
instructive to abandon this text and try to investigate the same issue with some
other small whole text.

I wish you the best of success in your research.

Bill Mann