Dead metaphors

Christian Nelson cnelson at COMM.UMASS.EDU
Sun Mar 5 01:34:13 UTC 2000

A belated thanks for citing this useful article. Lakoff identifies four
different types of metaphors that have been labeled "dead metaphor." (He also
suggests that at best only one deserves the label, and appears to prefer the
label "conventional metaphor" for those metaphors he studies, but I think that
his preference are based on a particular understanding of the word "dead" that
I'm not sure has always been used by folks refering to "dead metaphors.")

Again, thanks,
Christian Nelson