DA Vs Pragmatics

Thomas Bloor T.Bloor at ASTON.AC.UK
Tue Mar 14 16:40:10 UTC 2000

OK. I should have checked before rashly misremembering (even though I
hedged) the limits Levinson places on DA. Sorry for that. I did make the
point that this was written 17 years ago, but I remember thinking  at the
time that his definition was a very narrow one and it was. I apologise if I
made the claim too strongly.

However, I think he is wrong (and was at the time) in his claim that the
concept 'rule' was central to DA: "..(DA) employs both the methodology and
the kinds of theoretical principles and primitive concepts (e.g. rule and
well-formed formula) typical of linguistics. It is essentially a series of
attempts to extend the techniques so successful in linguistics, beyond the
unit of the sentence." (Levinson 1983: 286).

 De Beaugrande and Dressler (1981), in a key early textbook, emphasise that
text linguistics deals in tendencies rather than rules:
 "We should work to discover regularities, strategies, motivations,
preferences, and defaults rather than rules and laws. Dominances can offer
more strict realistic classifications than can strict categories.
Acceptability and appropriateness are more essential than grammaticality
and well-formedness. Human reasoning processes are more essential to using
and conveying knowledge in texts than are logical proofs." (De Beaugrande
and Dressler 1981 pxiv - xv).
This title is in Levinson's bibliography.

Especially given the dominance of Chomskyan 'rules' in linguistics at the
time, the discrepancy between Levinson's and De Beaugrande and Dressler's
comments could not be much clearer. Obviously, there was some sort of basis
for Levinson's perception at the time; some people were talking about text
grammars and such, but that was only a part of the scene.

Don't get me wrong;  some decades ago I was briefly a student of Levinson's
and I have the greatest respect for his work; I think that _Pragmatics_ is
a classic, and I always have my students read it. I just didn't want
someone looking to it as a reliable guide to the difference between DA and
pragmatics (especially now); it's hardly a central issue in Levinson 1983,
anyway. I generally try to stay out of demarcation disputes of this kind as
I don't believe they are very profitable, but I think it is generally
better to err on the side of inclusion than exclusion.

Tom Bloor