Functional Grammar

Juno Nakamura njuno at STANFORD.EDU
Sat Mar 25 23:11:46 UTC 2000

Dear all,

I am undergraduate student at Stanford University who is writing an honors
thesis on subordinate clauses in narratives found in EFL textbooks vs. ESL
textbooks. I have been coding my texts, based upon the methods of
functional grammar, but just recently realized that functional grammar
and the traditional generative, transformational grammar are two entirely
different approaches to syntax. I am thinking of including a brief
discussion of this in my thesis. Could anybody clarify for me what exactly
are the differences between the two types of analyses? I appreciate your
help.

Sincerely,
Juno Nakamura
Junior, Linguistics