Language ideology and pedagogy: Cry for help

Mark A Peterson peterson at AUCEGYPT.EDU
Mon Mar 27 08:21:13 UTC 2000

John Knox writes:

>I'm not certain exactly what you mean by "language ideology".

Schiffman (1996) defines language cultures as "the set of behaviors,
assumptions, cultural forms, prejudices, folk belief systems, attitudes,
stereotypes, ways of thinking about language, and religio-historical
circumstances associated with a particular language."  Language cultures
become "language ideologies" insofar as they shape or define relations of
power and authority, which they do in many, if not all, contexts.

My own uses of the concept of language ideology have been at a fairly
abstract level: trying to articulate South Asian and American language
ideologies by examining the assumptions underlying people's discourse and
other social practices about language.  What my tutor wants to do in her MA
thesis is somehow assess people's attitudes through a measurement tool
(survey or assessment) and relate this to their learning success.

Thanks for the references on pedagogy!

Best,

Mark Allen Peterson
Asst. Professor of Anthropology
The American University in Cairo
PO Box 2511, Cairo 11511 EGYPT
peterson at aucegypt.edu

"Laughter overcomes fear, for it knows no inhibitions, no limitations. Its
idiom is never used by violence and authority."
          -- Mikhail Bakhtin