interdisciplinary graduate programs involving linguistic anthropology

Barbara Johnstone bj4 at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Mon Mar 27 20:58:51 UTC 2000

Jim,

Do you mean interdisciplinary in an administrative sense (i.e.
interdepartmental) or interdisciplinary in the intellectual sense?

Barbara

--On Monday, March 27, 2000, 7:45 AM -0700 "Jim Wilce" <jim.wilce at NAU.EDU>
wrote:

> I'm interested in hearing from those who self-identify as linguistic
> anthropologists and who teach in **interdisciplinary** graduate programs
> that might bring together such fields as linguistics (including applied
and
> socio-), rhetoric, discourse studies, cultural studies, and
communications.
> I would like to know how the interdepartmental/university politics work
for
> you, what is your institutional role (and that of linguistic anthropology
> courses) in the graduate program, and what sorts of jobs your students
get.
> I will compile comments for the list if you reply directly to me at
> jim.wilce at nau.edu.
> Jim Wilce, Associate Professor
> Anthropology Department
> Box 15200
> Northern Arizona University
> Flagstaff AZ 86011-5200
>
> fax 520/523-9135
> office ph. 520/523-2729
> email jim.wilce at nau.edu
> http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22/ (includes information on my 1998 book,
> Eloquence in Trouble: The Poetics and Politics of Complaint in Rural
> Bangladesh, ISBN 0-19-510687-3.  Call OUP NY office at 800/334-4249.
> http://www.nau.edu/asian

Barbara Johnstone
Department of English
Carnegie Mellon University