interdisciplinary graduate programs involving linguistic anth ropology

Elizabeth Brandt Betsy.Brandt at ASU.EDU
Tue Mar 28 00:03:13 UTC 2000

Dear Jim:

I teach at ASU and for quite a while we had an interdisciplinary program at
the M.A. level in which 1-2 courses in linguitics anthropology were normally
taken by the students.  The program granted degrees in 3 areas:  English,
Foreign Lgs. (Spanish), and Anthropology.  Then finally after years of work
we got planning authority for a degree and possible dept. and the structure
was changed.  At the last minute the program lost funding and English housed
the core.  There is still a university level commitee with representatives
from the different depts. with linguists, but at this point, there are no
required courses in ling anth, though as a manner of course, I get some
students from English each semester.  There is an M.A. LInguistics track,  a
Ph.D. track in Linguistics/Rhetoric, and an TESL track in English.  Our old
anthro ling track has almost disappeared due to lack of students who have
been siphoned off by  the richer offerings in English and the T.A. ships.  I
still serve on committees and have these students in my courses, but overall
ling anth is hurting from its previous status.  We have 2 linguists in
anthropology, but we have had only 3 Ph.D.s in this area and maybe 10-12
M.A. level people.  The M.A. people have gotten jobs in other fields where
they sometimes use their training.  The Ph.D.s all have tenure track jobs, 2
in anthro depts. and one in Asian Studies.

Betsy Brandt