Functional Grammar

Juno Nakamura njuno at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Mar 28 19:33:00 UTC 2000

Dear Professor. Bloor,

Thank you very much for your lengthy and detailed answer to my question.
I will be studying X-bar theory next year, so hopefully things will become
clearer to me after that.

I have some further questions, though. Are the main proponents in
functional grammar known to be Halliday, Arnold, and Bloor? I am guessing
that there might be more people or groups of people who support it. And
like some areas of linguistics, is it the case that it is more popular in
UK or Europe than in the United States currently (year 2000)? Please do
forgive me my ignorance, since I just joined the list.

Best,
Juno Nakamura
Junior, Linguistics
Stanford University