Political discourse analysis

lahcen lahcen at FULBRIGHTWEB.ORG
Tue Dec 4 23:54:59 UTC 2001

Dear,
The following are some of the responses for my inquiry whether anyone of the list members had a copy of van Dijk's paper 'What is political discourse analysis?' In Blommaert and Bulcaen, eds. Political Discourse Analysis. 1998 - Or any other paper about Political Discourse Analysis, if at all there is such a thing as political discourse analysis. So far, I have come across diverse political discourse anlyses and if there is anyone who wants to share them, I'll be happy to send an extensive bibliorgaphy.

  1. From: "zouhair maalej" <zmaalej at gnet.tn>
Dear colleague,
I do not have the article you mentioned, but most of Teun's papers can be downloaded from his website as drafts or published papers. He has a similar paper on political cognition, which you might be interested in reading.
Actually, he may in person reply to you about that.
Regards

 2.From: "Valentyna Ushchyna" <ushchyna at hotmail.com>

· I can help you here as I am studying political discourse too. Here are some references that can be of use to you:

Blum-Kulka, Shoshana. The Dynamics of Political Interviews. // Text, 3, 2, 1983. - P.131-153.

Chilton P. & Schaffner C. Discourse and Politics. In: T.A.Van Dijk (Ed.), Discourse Studies. A Multidisciplinary Introduction. Vol.2. Discourse as Social Interaction. (pp. 258-284). - London, Thousand Oaks, New Delhi: Sage Publications, 1997. P.206-230.

· Chilton P. Politeness and Politics. //Discourse and Society, 1 (2), 1990. - P.201-224.

· Chilton P. Politeness, politics and diplomacy // Discourse and Society. - L., 1990. - Vol.1 - P.201-224.

Edelman M. Politics as Symbolic Action. New York: Academic Press, 1971.

· Fetzer Anita. Challenging the unspoken: exploiting ideology in and of political interviews. In: Jef Verschueren (Ed.) // Language and Ideology. Selected Papers from the 6th International Pragmatics Conference. Vol.1. Antwerp, Belgium: International Pragmatics Association, 1999. - P. 98-113.

Foucault, M. Politics and the Study of Discourse // In: Graham Burchell, Collin Gordon, and Peter Miller (eds.). The Foucault Effect. Studies in Governmentality. -Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1991. - 307p.

· Lasswell et.al., 1949) Lasswell H.D. and Leites N. et al. Language of Politics: Studies in Quantitative Semantics. New York: G.W.Stewart, 1949. - 398p.

· Merelman, R. M. Revitalizing Political Socialization. In M.G. Hermann (Ed.), Political psychology. - San-Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1986. - P.279-319.

Arendt, H. Communicative Power// In: S. Lukes (Ed.), Power. - Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1986. - P.59-74.

· Stuckey M. and Antczak F. J. The battle of issues and images: establishing interpretive dominance. // Communicative Quarterly, Vol.42, No.2, Spring 1994, P.120-132.

· Wilson, J. Politically Speaking. The Pragmatic Analysis of Political Language. -Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1990. - 203p.

· Wodak R. (ed.) Language, Power and Ideology: Studies in Political Discourse. Amsterdam, Philadelphia: Benjamins, 1989.

· Zhabotynska S. and Chaban N. The Image of Ukraine as a Political Concept
// The USSE Messenger, 2000 (1). - Ð. 110-121.

   3.From: dedaicm at georgetown.edu   Save Address
Hi,

You'll find a plethora of information on Van Dijk's home page:
http://www.hum.uva.nl/teun/#Vita

Best,

  4. From: Dina Koschorreck <kath2 at zedat.fu-berlin.de>

hey,
you can search for articles on
http://dbix01.dbi-berlin.de:6100/DBI/login.html. if you have found the book or journal, check "holdings". then you can send the library a mail with the bibliographic note and they will send you the article within something like 12 days. sometimes it takes only 3 or 4. it costs something like 6 to 7 euro.

regards, dina

Thank you all for your replies.

Here is my feedback:
1. I am not sure van Dijk publishes online his finished work. He will correct me If I am wrong.

2. I have most of the reference titles Valentyna kindly sent me.

3. Dina's offer is interesting although it is impossible for us down here to pay in hard currency.And it is too much of a hassle to go through the "Office de change" and all the red tape to pay for something that costs 7 Euros.

I hoped to have a soft or a hard copy of the paper, as it sounds from its title that it offers an answer to the question whether there is such a thing as a theory of political discourse analysis or simply studies of political discourse (like any other discourse)from the perspective of Discourse Analysis.

Lahcen

Sent via the WebMail system at fulbrightweb.org