self-promotionn in written discourse

Jennifer Hrazdil jennifer.hrazdil at MCGILL.CA
Thu May 3 21:59:02 UTC 2001

Dear Discourse members,

I am a Master's student at McGill University, Montreal. My thesis research is on self-promotional discourse, particularly as it relates to second language pragmatic competence. I am looking at the way in which a group of undergraduate students present themselves in written self-appraisals of their course performance.

While there has been much research on politeness in social interactions (with the focus on attending to the face needs of the interlocutor), there seems to be considerably less on the equally pragmatically challenging domain of self-promotion in social interactions (with a focus on attending to one's own face needs).

What I have found has come mainly from the Human Resource Management and Social Psychology literature, neither of which seem to have a very discourse analysis tradition.

I would be very interested to know whether anyone knows of research focussed specifically on self-promotion in written or oral discourse, from any theoretical perspective.

Thank you!
Jennifer