self-promotionn in written discourse

Zouhair Maalej zmaalej at GNET.TN
Fri May 4 05:15:10 UTC 2001

Office Fax: (+216) 1 600 910
Home Telefax: (+216) 1 362 871
E-mail: zmaalej at gnet.tn
From: Jennifer Hrazdil <jennifer.hrazdil at MCGILL.CA>
To: DISCOURS at listserv.linguistlist.org <DISCOURS at listserv.linguistlist.org>
Date: Friday, May 04, 2001 12:03 AM
Subject: self-promotionn in written discourse

Dear Discourse members,

I am a Master's student at McGill University, Montreal. My thesis research
is on self-promotional discourse, particularly as it relates to second
language pragmatic competence. I am looking at the way in which a group of
undergraduate students present themselves in written self-appraisals of
their course performance.

While there has been much research on politeness in social interactions
(with the focus on attending to the face needs of the interlocutor), there
seems to be considerably less on the equally pragmatically challenging
domain of self-promotion in social interactions (with a focus on attending
to one's own face needs).

What I have found has come mainly from the Human Resource Management and
Social Psychology literature, neither of which seem to have a very discourse
analysis tradition.

I would be very interested to know whether anyone knows of research focussed
specifically on self-promotion in written or oral discourse, from any
theoretical perspective.

Thank you!
Jennifer