capturing a reader's perception of a writer's character (was 'self-promotionn in written discourse')

Jennifer Hrazdil jennifer.hrazdil at MCGILL.CA
Fri May 4 15:48:49 UTC 2001

[[Please note that I am posting this a second time after having been
notified by the list server that my message would not be posted because it
was considered to be a duplicate of a message already posted. As I have no
recollection or record of having sent it to the list twice I am reposting
it. I apologize for posting multiple copies if this is the case.]]

Dear Dr. Maalej and Discourse members,

I am very interested to read your paper and would appreciate a hard-copy.
How to gauge a reader's perception of a writer's character is indeed a
difficult task.

I have come across quite a few studies measuring reader/listener perceptions
in the Impression Management literature of social psychology. From what I
can gather, these studies tend to involve administering empirically valid
and reliable questionnaires to research participants in an effort to gauge
their perceptions of the writer's character. The texts on which the
perceptions of the writer are based are specially designed for the
experiment, and variation between texts tends to be restricted to isolated
variables. (For example, in studies on reader impressions of resumes, a base
resume might be created with one variable, in say Educational Background,
manipulated from resume to resume while everything else remains the same.)

I am interested to know whether any Discourse members are familiar with, or
interested in, research gauging the reader's perceptions of the writer's
character in longer texts that have not been 'experimentally-modified'
(i.e., on authentic texts from multiple writers - where many, many variables
differ from text to text)?

Thank you,
Jennifer