capturing reader perceptions of writer character (was: self-promotionn in wri

Dorothy e. Smith dsmith at OISE.UTORONTO.CA
Sun May 6 22:23:58 UTC 2001

I have to wonder whether the notion of the reader's perception of the
writer's character isn't purely a methodological construction.  If you ask
people about their perceptions of a writer's character, they will come up
with an answer.  They can perform, if you like, an impromptu analysis of
the text to generate a response to the question.  But is it a procedure
that readers use without being asked to?  I can't say that as a reader I've
ever wondered about a writer's character though I can imagine that there
might be some situations in which that method of reading would be
appropriate.  I'd suggest that the question about reader's perception of a
writer's character needs to be situated.  Perhaps some of the difficulties
in gauging it come from the fact that it mostly isn't there.