The medium and the message (was: on viruses)

Dena Attar dena.attar at BTINTERNET.COM
Fri Feb 1 14:33:00 UTC 2002

Hi everyone,

I like Lise's suggestion if it's feasible.
Very often these days it's possible to include a hyperlink to a webpage which has all the information needed re conferences, new publications and so forth and that's a method I would personally prefer.

On a different tack, I have been following how people communicate in email exchanges over viruses, virus hoaxes, email petitions and so on as part of my research into new literacy practices. As Discourse list members we're not just dealing with this, we're also observing how it's dealt with.  It seems to me that we are all having to negotiate our ways round the following:
  - a sense of responsibility about sharing knowledge and good practice about what are still relatively new areas;
 - a sensitivity about doing this via email when there are obvious concerns about (mis)interpretations of tone, language &c.
I have come across many examples of good intentions leading to angry or distressed reactions as I'm sure others have too. Without getting too reflexive or incestuous, I'd be interested in what other people think and in any other current research into this.

Dena Attar