CDA and post colonial studies

R Aldrich raldrich at MAIL.NEWCASTLE.EDU.AU
Sun May 2 12:32:48 UTC 2004

HI Laila and Andrew

I am a public health physician (with a background in communication and history) currently completing a doctorate in which I have used CDA to examine speeches and press releases of Federal politicians responsible for the health of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, and using/ used post-colonial theory (among others) to explain the evolution of policy language, discourses, outputs and outcomes.

Really interesting area; I too did not find similar research, although van Dijk's work has been very helpful, as have others collected together in
Riggins, S., Ed. (1997). The language and politics of exclusion: others in discourse. Thousand Oaks Ca, London, Sage Publications

.
Best wishes and good luck

Rosemary Aldrich
NHMRC Scholar
School of Public Health and Community Medicine,
University of New South Wales
Sydney
Australia

61 (4) 09 712 587