introduction

Diane Westerhuis diane.westerhuis at JCU.EDU.AU
Mon Nov 1 22:15:47 UTC 2004

I would like to introduce myself to the list. I am a PhD
student at James Cook University, Townsville, in North
Queensland, Australia. I am also teaching in sociology and
research methods, and undertaking research in a project that
entails both qualitative and quantitative analyses.
My own research project is a discourse analysis of university
texts and political speeches about universities in Australia,
i have some very interesting historical speeches from, for
example, Wentworth (a colourful colonial) who was speaking
about our first university, and Whitlam, a prime minister who
introduced free higher education in Australia, a short lived
but wonderful experiment. My focus is on the change in
Australian public universities with an increasingly neoliberal
state.
I look forward to discourse about discourse on this list, regards
Diane

Regards,
Diane Westerhuis,
School of Anthropology, Archaeology & Sociology,
School of Social Work & Community Welfare,
James Cook University
Townsville 4811, Australia
ph: (07) 4781 4304
fax: 61 7 4781 4064