Introduction

Mahendra K. Verma mkv1 at YORK.AC.UK
Mon Nov 8 18:44:56 UTC 2004

on 5/8/04 2:26 pm, James Simpson at J.E.B.Simpson at EDUCATION.LEEDS.AC.UK
wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I'm James Simpson, and I work at the University of Leeds, UK. I joined
> the School of Education at Leeds in January 2004. My background is in
> TESOL and Applied Linguistics. I have taught in a variety of contexts in
> Greece, Saudi Arabia and the UK. I am currently working on the ESOL
> Effective Practice Project. This large-scale study investigates the
> classroom teaching of ESOL to adults.
> My other research interest is in computer-mediated communication (CMC).
> My particular concern is how CMC relates to language learning, discourse
> analysis, and literacy.
> I recently completed a PhD at the University of Reading with a thesis
> entitled:
> "Discourse and computer-mediated communication: a study of an online
> community"
> There's a link to the .pdf version of this from my university homepage
> (address below).
> Cheers
> James
>

> Dr James Simpson
> Research Fellow
> School of Education
> University of Leeds
> Leeds LS2 9JT
> Tel: +44 (0)113 3434687
> j.e.b.simpson at education.leeds.ac.uk
> http://www.education.leeds.ac.uk/research/james_simpson.htm

Dear James (if I may)

You may be aware of the empirical research we carried out a few years ago,
which was published by Multilingual Matters: ADULT ESOL LEARNERS IN BRITAIN:
A CROSS-CULTURAL STUDY.

I met Celia the other day in London who told me of her involvement in the
project. I'll be interested in the progress you have made so far.

Best.

mahendra

Mahendra Verma
Dept. of Language & Linguistic Science