job at Carnegie Mellon Unviersity

Barbara Johnstone bj4 at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Mon Oct 18 18:25:21 UTC 2004

RHETORICAL / DISCOURSE ANALYSIS

The Rhetoric Program in the Department of English at Carnegie Mellon
University invites applications for a tenure-track position for an
entry-level or advanced Assistant Professor of Rhetoric. We seek a colleague
whose work is at the intersection of rhetorical studies and discourse
analysis. Special competencies may include but are not limited to critical
and deliberative discourse, argumentation, public and community discourse,
sociolinguistics, or intercultural discourse.

We welcome a range of research methods: historical, empirical, observational
(e.g., ethnography), or experimental. This position is one of two rhetoric
positions we have open for this year (see related ad). For one of these
hires we are especially interested in someone who does work in rhetorical
analysis of the discourse of an historical period, including rhetorical
theory and practices of the period, and who could teach our PhD survey in
the history of rhetoric.

The Rhetoric Program supervises a B. A. in professional writing, a B. S. in
technical writing, an M.A. in professional writing, an M. Design in
communication planning and information design (joint with the School of
Design), and an M.A. and Ph.D. in rhetoric. The successful candidate will be
able to contribute to all these programs. The English Department also offers
B.A.s in creative writing and in English, and an M.A. and Ph.D. in literary
and cultural studies.

Qualifications:
Ph.D. in hand by the time of appointment in Rhetoric, Communication Studies,
English, Linguistics, or closely related field (e.g., American Studies,
Anthropology, Cognitive or Social Psychology, Cultural Studies, Law,
Philosophy). The Department will prefer candidates with successful teaching
experiences, research and publication records, and interdisciplinary skills
appropriate to teaching and publishing in rhetoric and written
communication. The Department will also prefer candidates who, in addition
to teaching in their specialization, can teach in our general curriculum
(e.g., Rhetorical Traditions),  both at the undergraduate and graduate
levels.

The successful candidate is expected to establish a strong research program,
demonstrate excellent teaching performance, and contribute to professional
and public service. Duties include: teach and develop undergraduate and
graduate courses; supervise graduate student research; develop a research
program; participate in faculty governance; participate in department,
university, professional and public service.

Appointment, Rank, and Salary:
Nine-month, tenure-track position; rank of assistant professor; competitive
salary. The teaching load is two courses each semester. Starting date is
Fall, 2005.

Application Procedure:
Send letter of application that includes a statement of career (research and
teaching?) goals within the context of the position, a curriculum vitae, and
three letters of reference to:

Professor David S. Kaufer
c/o Vickie Makel
Department of English
Baker Hall 259
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Please specify what position you are applying for on the outside envelope
and cover letter by including:

ATTN:  Rhetoric-Rhetorical/discourse analysis

Application Deadline:
Review of applications will begin on November 1, 2004 until the positions
are filled.  The deadline to insure full consideration is postmarked by
November 1, 2004.

We plan to make a preliminary selection of potential candidates early in
December and hope to meet with any of those candidates attending the Modern
Language Association meeting in December. Other potential candidates who are
not attending the MLA meeting will be contacted by telephone. We anticipate
campus interviews in January.

Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer. For further information about department and university, see:
http://english.cmu.edu. ________________________________

Barbara Johnstone
Professor of Rhetoric and Linguistics
Department of English