Introduction

Halla B. Holmarsdottir h.b.holmarsdottir at PED.UIO.NO
Fri Oct 22 08:18:07 UTC 2004

My introduction (or reintroduction) to the list:

I studied International and Comparative Education with a Master's thesis on
the language Policy in Namibia after Independence. Since January 2000 I
have been a research fellow at the Institute for Educational Research at
the University of Oslo. My doctorial project involves a study of the
language policy in South Africa (its development from a Critical Discourse
Analysis perspective) and the implementation of it in primary classrooms
(an ethnographic investigation). The project is part of a large research
project which also involves Tanzania.

I have been a member of this discourse list previously, but during the past
two years I have been conducting research in South Africa, which had not
allowed me the opportunity to participate in the list.

I was glad to see that Teun van Dijk responded to the most recent
discussion concerning “discriminatory discourse”. I had thought to suggest
some of his work as I have found it very useful in my own study. I now look
forward to more active participation in the list as I am nearing the
completion of my dissertation.

Kind regards,

Halla B. Holmarsottir