Introduction

Joe Piggin jpiggin at UNITEC.AC.NZ
Tue Dec 6 03:32:24 UTC 2005

Dear all,

My name is Joe Piggin. I am half-way through* my PhD study from Otago University (New Zealand), and have switched to part time since beginning lecturing here at Unitec in Auckland this year.

My research is heavily influenced by Foucault. I am researching how different discourses about sport, such as 'nationalism', 'fitness' and 'social cohesion', find their way into public policy. Along with this, I have been looking at how ideas about sport are contested and resisted through public debate and protest.

One paper from my thesis involves Bakhtin's idea of heteroglossia (or multiple discourses within a text) to look at how competing ways of thinking and talking influence debate and resistance to governmental policy.

Related to discourse, I find lecturing in sport management / sport marketing is a unique place to at once teach how to use a particular discourse ('management speak'), while also bringing to the fore the potential negative and harmful effects of doing so!

Regards
Joe Piggin

*I've been half-way through for a while now!

Joe Piggin
Lecturer
School of Sport
Unitec, Auckland