sport

Koller, Veronika v.koller at LANCASTER.AC.UK
Tue Dec 6 10:38:58 UTC 2005

Dear Joe,
Sounds like a fascinating topic. I don't know if you read German, but
there's a monumental (long version: 6 hours!) play by Nobel Prize winner
Elfriede Jelinek ("Sportstueck", literally "Sports play"), which is all
about the links between sports, masculinity and fascism.

Sport is of course also a very productive source domain for metaphors in
political  and business discourse, where it often functions as an
attenuation of the war metaphor. If you're interested, you could check
out the following:

Howe, Nicholas (1988): Metaphor in Contemporary American Political
Discourse. Metaphor & Symbol, 3(2), 87-105.
Koller, Veronika (2004): Metaphor and Gender in Business Media
Discourse. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.

Best regards,
Veronika

Veronika Koller
Lecturer in Critical Discourse Analysis
Department of Linguistics and English Language Lancaster University
Bailrigg, Lancaster LA1 4YT
Phone: ++44-(0)1524-594642
Fax: ++44-(0)1524-843085
Web: http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/staff/koller/index.htm

"It is justice, not charity, that is wanting in the world." (Mary
Wollstonecraft)