Introduction

Nik ok777nik at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 6 15:49:03 UTC 2007

Hi Steve,

I am doing a Phd in CDA at Lancaster. I am interested to know how much your university is into CDA and that line of work if at all. Also your work may partly be interesting for me too. Although I am not doing interested in theory wholesomely.

This is a junk email address. My offcial address is m.khosravinik at lancaster.ac.uk. I would be happy to hear from you.

Best
majid

----- Original Message ----
From: Steve Oswald <steve.oswald at UNINE.CH>
To: DISCOURS at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2007 2:08:19 PM
Subject: Introduction

New to the list

Dear all,

I'm a 3rd year PhD student currently working at the University of
Neuchâtel, Switzerland, under the supervision of Professor Louis de
Saussure. My topic of research is uncooperative communication (e.g.
manipulation), argumentation and persuasion, from a cognitive pragmatic
perspective. I'm interested in accounts of manipulative discourse, so as
to - hopefully - elaborate a pragmatic model of uncooperative discourse
processing.

I have already worked on manipulation as an undergrad (University of
Geneva), notably in relation to Peronist speeches from the 1940s-1950s
(Juan Domingo and Evita Perón, Argentina). I chose to continue in this
direction, trying to address the conditions under which a hearer comes
to miss certain relevant information, notably by being led to refrain
from thinking critically about the information s/he is processing. In
particular, I am interested in both cognitive and sociolinguistic
research on the topic. Right now I am working on a theoretical aspect of
the phenomenon, questioning whether post- and neo-gricean accounts of
intentional meaning (Sperber & Wilson, Carston, Horn, Levinson, etcl.)
can account for manipulation.

On a more global note, I am interested in general linguistics, semantics
and pragmatics more broadly, argumentation studies, discourse analysis,
cognitive linguistics, CDA and the notion of commitment in any of these
fields. Any input on my topic of research or any of these topics is more
than welcome. I'll be delighted to correspond.

Best wishes,
Steve

--
Steve Oswald