introduction

David Boromisza-Habashi boromisza at COMM.UMASS.EDU
Sun Dec 30 07:08:33 UTC 2007

Dear DISCOURS members,

As a newcomer, allow me to introduce myself. My name is David
Boromisza-Habashi. I am a PhD candidate at the University of
Massachusetts, Amherst. I am currently working on my dissertation
under the guidance of my advisor, Donal Carbaugh. My dissertation is
an ethnography of the native use of the term for communicative action
'hate speech' ("gyuloletbeszed") in Hungarian public (primarily
broadcast) discourse. I am interested in the culturally specific
meanings of the term as it is used in Hungarian metadiscursive
practice. More specifically, I am curious to know (1) how Hungarian
speakers conceive of 'hate speech' as a type of socially consequential
communicative action, (2) what messages their conceptions carry about
communication in general, about personhood and sociation, and about
norms shaping appropriate social conduct, (3) how they make sense of
discourse through the use of the term, (4) how and for what purposes
they use the term in sequential interaction, and (5) implications of
the use of the term for democratic engagement.

Looking forward to being a member of the list,

Cheers,

DBH
--
David Boromisza-Habashi