Introduction

Craig Anz canz at SIU.EDU
Fri Sep 18 14:04:08 UTC 2009

My research has engaged the topic of 'Critical Environmentalism', but in
regards to urban design and community development
Discourse (as well as its dispositives in part and parcel) is viewed in
relation to the built environment that also has the capacity to carry
meaning and be understood in relation to its dominant episteme(s). The built
environment is perhaps even more textual than it is currently presented
and also more effectively plays a role in our our ecological view than the
written discourse because of its direct experiential aspects and as it forms
how we know and engage (or simply use) the world. If the greater environment
(ecological, biological, geographical,...etc...) is both resource and our
epistemic grounding, the built environment is our derivation of it (the one
we alter to inhabit) and reflects the misuse of both the human condition and
ecology (the world) as co-substantial.  This is reflected economically as
well as in its casting ability, as some are more privileged in what part or
quality of the built world they can access.   I am also interested in
finding fellow researchers to work along these lines as well as parallels in
other disciplines to further these notions.

--
c. Anz, PhD, RA.
School of Architecture

618.453.1131 (office)