Introduction

Mario Bezbradica marioze at NET.HR
Wed Mar 16 22:04:50 UTC 2011

To start off I  highly recommend the study of language-ideology-power link, an excellent paper on the matter by professor Fox from University of Rijeka, Croatia. http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/v10n5.html

Kind regards,
Mario Bezbradica,
Documenta - Center for Dealing with the Past, Zagreb

> Od: "Theodore Stern"
> Za: DISCOURS at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
> Datum: 16.03.2011 21:01
> Naslov: Introduction

Hello group,
my name is Theodore Stern and I am a student in my gap year between
undergraduate studies (BA Linguistics, Concordia University, Montréal
Canada) and graduate studies (MSc Speech and Language Processing,
Edinburgh or M Res Sciences du Langage, Aix-Marseille I; undecided and
depends on funding).  I came across the list because I am looking to
learn more about discourse analysis and pragmatics as I move out of
general linguistic study and into speech processing and phonetics.  My
particular interests lie in prosody in discourse analysis and it's
applications in speech processing.  I'm not as of yet very versed in
the field but as of now it is the general direction in which I want to
continue my studies and build my academic career.  I imagine I will
mostly be reading posts until I progress in my studies and begin to
contribute.
Thank you!