2nd CALL FOR PAPERS_I-mean 3, Identity and Language Conference, UWE, Bristol 18-20 April 2013

Jo Angouri Jo.Angouri at UWE.AC.UK
Tue Jan 8 22:27:11 UTC 2013

*Apologies for any cross postings*
Dear Colleagues,

Please see below the second Call for Papers for this year's i-mean conference to be held at UWE, Bristol (18-20 April 2013). I would be grateful if you could disseminate to other colleagues who may be interested and we look forward to seeing you at i-mean!
With many thanks in advance and all very best wishes,
Jo
-------------------------------------
Dr Jo Angouri, Senior Lecturer
MA Programme Manager: Intercultural Communication
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol Centre for Linguistics
Frenchay Campus
Coldharbour Lane
Bristol BS16 1QY
Email: Jo.Angouri at uwe.ac.uk<mailto:Jo.Angouri at uwe.ac.uk>
NEW: Angouri and Marra, Constructing Identities at Work, Palgrave
2013: Angouri and Bargiela-Chiappini, Mapping Intercultural Communication, Routledge
-------------------------------------
2nd CALL FOR PAPERS
I-mean 3, Identity and Language Conference, UWE, Bristol 18-20 April 2013
Abstract submission deadline: 31st January 2013
Conference website:
http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/cahe/research/bristolcentreforlinguistics/i-mean/conferencedetails.aspx
The third imean conference will address the relationship between language and identity.
Following the imean tradition, we seek to explore ways in which researchers can fruitfully work across methodological and disciplinary boundaries. We also welcome scholars from other disciplines who have an interest in the links between language and identity.
The conference aims to explore whether and to what extent bringing together different methodological and theoretical approaches can:
• Enhance understanding of identity attribution in interaction
• Lead to theoretically robust methodological innovation
Exploring how speakers use language to claim an identity has been explored but also challenged in the various traditions (ranging from mainstream sociolinguistic theory to linguistic anthropology). In the broadly defined field of sociolinguistics there are many conceptualisations of ‘identity’. Through language we actively construct and negotiate our self and social identities. It is through language that we index, directly and indirectly, who we are/how we wish to be perceived and where we (want to) belong. We see identity as (not exclusively but to a large extent) a linguistic phenomenon, dynamic and constantly evolving.
Papers are invited from researchers working across different linguistic fields and traditions, focusing on any aspect of language and identity.
Main conference themes:
•Constructionist and post modern approaches to identity
• Identity in spoken interaction: methodologies and methods
•Three waves of variation studies
• Variation, identity and language change, revisited
• Multimodal approaches
• The relationship between role and identity
• Culture, language(s) and identity
• Identity Theory and Social Theory
Plenary speakers:

 *   Dawn Archer
 *   Nik Coupland
 *   Penny Eckert
 *   Lorenza Mondada
 *   Ben Rampton
 *   Ruth Wodak
Submission Details: Abstracts of no more than 350 words (max and including references, if absolutely necessary) are invited. The deadline for receipt of abstracts is the 31 January 2013. Abstracts should not include the name and affiliation of the author(s).
To submit an abstract please use the following web-service: http://linguistlist.org/confservices/imean2013
In the meantime, please don’t hesitate to contact us (Jo.Angouri at uwe.ac.uk<mailto:Jo.Angouri at uwe.ac.uk> or Kate.Beeching at uwe.ac.uk<mailto:Kate.Beeching at uwe.ac.uk> ) for any further details.