concord, agreement and suppletion

Rolf Noyer rnoyer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Tue Jan 14 20:02:40 UTC 2003

as I understand the term "declension class" the phenomena mentioned in (2)
and (3) below are impossible *by definition.*  The difference between
declension class and gender -- as I understand these terms -- is simply
that declension class features do not propagate syntactically, while gender
features do (or may). In other words, if a declension class property showed
the kind of agreement/concord relations mentioned in (2) and (3) we would
then call it a "gender" property. (Aronoff has made this definitional
difference explicit in various places.)

Did you have in mind some other definition of declension class?

Rolf