another semi-unrelated query: predicative vs. attribute adjectival inflection

Carson Schutze cschutze at UCLA.EDU
Wed Mar 3 01:11:45 UTC 2004

Hello again,

Can anyone point me to references other than Bernstein and Kester on
explaining the difference between inflection on attributive adjectives and
lack thereof on predicative ones, in languages that have this difference
(e.g. German), and what makes these languages different from those in which
both kinds of adjectives are inflected (e.g. Italian)?  Also, am I right in
guessing that there aren't any languages that show the opposite pattern from
German? Thanks.

--

Prof. Carson T. Schutze      Department of Linguistics, UCLA
Email: cschutze at ucla.edu     Box 951543, Los Angeles CA  90095-1543  U.S.A.

Office: Campbell Hall 2224B  Deliveries/Courier: 3125 Campbell Hall
Campus Mail Code: 154302     Web: www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/cschutze
Phone: (310)995-9887         Fax: (310)206-8595