Defining issues in Ed Ling

Bob Parks bobp at LIGHTLINK.COM
Mon Dec 15 13:36:07 UTC 2003

I have been pondering the question of what sort of model of language
is required for a truly educational dictionary. Dictionaries are a
source of explanations of meaning, pronunciation, usage, etc. that is
taken by the culture as authoritative.  But children deal with
different languages and sub-languages in the different spheres of
their lives (including pop culture).  And each sphere pulls in a
different direction at sometimes critical points.  The most critical
point of push and pull, of course, is whom should one
believe/trust/model in communicative interactions.  My question to
this list is, "what sort of information would be required in an
"educative" dictionary?"

Bob Parks
Director, Wordsmyth Collaboratory

--