[EDLING:249] Re: phonology question

JED jedewsua at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 15 14:51:24 UTC 2004

    A professor and I had fun working the recently posted question over at lunch the other day and we couldn't come up with anything concrete.  Although there are plenty
of voiced "ti"s: Persian, fusion, etc and of course voiceless ones with
the same vowel as "equation": station, nation. We eventually just said that it probably has something to do with the lexical phonology, i.e. the derivational morpheme structure.
That's our thoughts anyway -- thanks for the thinking material!
                                                                                       Jed Dews
                                                                             Department of English
                                                                              University of Alabama

sicola at dolphin.upenn.edu wrote:

WHY is the 'ti' in "equation" pronounced as a voiced alveopalatal
fricative, and every other 'tion' I can think of is pronounced as a
voiceless one? - relation to an odd verb? (equate-equation, but relate-
relation) Syllable containing [wey] before the 'tion?" I can't think of
another word with that vowel structure. Historical changes? Other?