[EDLING:520] Double standards in higher education - my paranoia or a global concern?

Ahmar Mahboob mahbooba at MAIL.ECU.EDU
Sat Jan 8 00:01:59 UTC 2005

At a recent meeting with some well-respected academics at a good (western)
university, I was griping about one of my international (non-native) Ph.D.
students. During the course of the conversation, one of the professors told
me that I should not worry too much. This person said that since my student
plans to return to his country after graduation and since he will not be
seeking a job in a western country, I do not need to worry about the quality
of his work. While I did not say much at the time, this comment has really
disturbed me.

I have been aware of such double standards for a while, but this was the
first time I heard someone (a senior professor for that) state it so
matter-of-factly. I was wondering if any of you have experienced such
attitudes. How have/do you react to this? I find it extremely unethical to
make such distinctions and to give differentiated treatment to my west-bound
and non-west-bound students. I expect my students to perform at or above a
certain level. If they are not performing, then I try to find ways to help
them. I cannot just let them be because they will take their degrees back
home. If we permit this to happen, how are we contributing to the fall of
academic standards internationally?

PhDs from the west are treated with great respect in many countries. They
are given better salaries and higher positions vis-à-vis local PhDs and are
given more say in policy making etc. By permitting these double standards,
we are in a way sabotaging the educational standards of these (developing)
countries. What we are saying is: you are not good enough for us and we will
never consider hiring you as an academic here (in the west), but we will
(take your money and) give you a degree to take back home. How much more
unethical can academics become?

While I hope that my experience was an uncommon/rare one, I fear that this
is a growing tendency. This tendency is probably supported by (if not rooted
in) universities’ desire to attract more
full-fee-paying-international-students. Universities are investing huge
amounts to attract new international students and part of their promise is
that we will give you a western qualification that you can take back home
and prosper from. In this race for attracting and keeping more students
(read as ‘money’), universities seem to be losing sight of their integrity.
Like other money making corporations, universities seem to be selling their
brand-name rather than focusing on the quality of education. This is a
deplorable act and I think one that needs to be exposed.

As you can probably guess, the casual conversation that I had earlier this
week has really upset me. While I’m not sure what we can do to counter these
growing tendencies, I feel that the least we can do is to discuss and expose
them.

Best wishes,

Ahmar

Dr. Ahmar Mahboob