[EDLING:605] RE: Spanish question follow-up

Debra Myhill D.A.Myhill at EXETER.AC.UK
Thu Jan 27 07:15:26 UTC 2005

Hi
Re:  the comma splice/run-on sentence in British Standard English.

All the English examples you give in the last email would not be regarded as
acceptable here, particularly from a literacy teaching perspective.
Students would have these highlighted and teaching would try to show that a
full stop (or sometimes a semi-colon) was needed.

A study of secondary school writers here in the UK in 1999 found (amongst
other things) that comma splicing was a characteristic of C grade (average)
writers.  A grade writers were much less likely to comma splice whilst in
the weakest writers absence of punctuation altogether was the main problem.

I'm not aware that newspaper journalism here uses comma splicing, but I will
look more closely - but I don't think that in formal public writing, it is
accepted here.   It is seen most commonly in less 'checked' writing such as
local leaflets; flyers and parish magazines etc.

Hope this helps!

Debra Myhill
Professor of Education
University of Exeter
School of Education and Lifelong Learning
Heavitree Rd
Exeter EX1 2LU
Tel (01392) 264767
e-mail D.A.Myhill at exeter.ac.uk