[EDLING:606] RE: Spanish question follow-up

Christophe PORTEFIN christophe.portefin at WANADOO.FR
Thu Jan 27 09:28:45 UTC 2005

Hi,
the same in French
as a FSL teacher, I have to teech how it is possible to put the good comma in the right way.
In French, but in a stylistic and litterary way, you should not write too long sentences, otherwise it is too hard to understand. It is better to do with full stops.
Moreover, you can't write "A man is here, and he is a lawyer.". Usually it is forbidden to put a comma after and : you have to choose between "and" or a comma even if the meaning is the same.
1 "A man is here, he is a lawyer"
2 "A man is here and he is a lawyer"
3 "A man is here. He is a lawyer"
All these sentences are good in French and have the same meaning. The 1st one is just for giving the information he is a lawyer.
The 2nd one means that it is important to know this man is a lawyer. The 3rd one is more emphatics, so imagine this one with a question mark.
Christophe PORTEFIN
FSL teacher and PHd student.

Christophe PORTEFIN
christophe.portefin at wanadoo.fr