[EDLING:99] Bilingual Education Grows in Texas, Declines in Some Other States

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Thu May 10 01:59:03 UTC 2007

Education Week

Bilingual Education Grows in Texas, Declines in Some Other States

Mary Ann Zehr:

I hear a lot of talk about how provisions for English-language learners in the
the No Child Left Behind Act are indirectly making it more difficult for
schools to offer bilingual education programs. I checked out this premise for
an article that runs in Education Week this week.

What I found was that it varies greatly from state to state whether NCLB has
put a damper on bilingual education programs, because state policies differ so
much. For example, in states that offer some tests in students' native
languages--which is permitted by the federal law--bilingual programs are having
an easier time surviving than in states that administer their tests only in
English. In Texas, which requires bilingual education at the elementary grades
and provides math and reading tests in Spanish for those grades, bilingual
education is growing. In Arizona and California, on the other hand, which
passed ballot initiatives to curtail bilingual education and require testing to
be in English, bilingual education has dramatically declined.

Full story
http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/learning-the-
language/2007/05/bilingual_education_grows_in_t.html